How to Choose a Safe Motorcycle and Be a Safe Rider
Are motorcycles safe? This is the question that all nervous mothers fret over when their son or daughter decides to start riding. It makes you wonder, “Is there such a thing as a safe motorcycle?”
The current statistics for motorcycle safety would not ease mom’s concerns, either. If you’re an experienced rider, you might know that you’re 27 times more likely to be killed on a motorcycle than as a passenger in a car. Although these numbers don’t look great, there are some safe motorcycle riding best practices you can adopt.
Moreover, many electric bike brands are now using the power of technology to build the most safe motorcycle possible. Here, at Damon we’re on a mission to radically improve motorcycle safety – our aim is to invent the future of motorcycle safety and performance.
And if you follow the tips in this article, you can save your parents some sleepless nights without compromising what you want in a bike.
Ride Responsibly – Don’t Rely on Others to Be Aware of You
Whether you’re a new or experienced rider, you need to ride with full awareness
Motorcyclists are among the most aware road users. However, they remain some of the most vulnerable. As a result, it’s vital you practice safe motorcycle riding habits to maintain rider safety:
- Always signal early
- Don’t assume others have seen you
- Stay out of drivers’ blind spots
- Respect and obey all traffic laws
The best way to instill these riding habits early on is through a riding school. Even those with experience on dirt bikes, scooters, etc. can benefit from learning the fundamentals and best practices of navigating the road on two wheels.
Riding responsibly with high awareness will make you a safe rider. Moreover, tools like CoPilot™, Damon’s Advanced Warning System, can give you additional awareness.
Pick a Safe Motorcycle that Fits You Correctly
This is one of the first things you should do when choosing the right electric motorcycle for you.
Comfort is essential to ensuring your own safety on the road, and it’s impossible to be comfortable if your bike is the wrong size or height.
Which factors determine whether a bike fits you or not? Here are some tell-tale signs:
- You are easily able to reach the controls
- You can reach all shift levers with your feet
- You have control of your bike when standing up in a stopped position
For certain types of bikes – such as sports bikes – ergonomics and rider comfort is often an afterthought. However, brands are now using technology to ensure high speeds don’t mean low comfort levels.
For example, Damon’s HyperSports all feature revolutionary Shift™ technology that allows riders to adjust their seat height and position at the touch of a button. This is a game changer for those who have a need for speed, but don’t want to sacrifice their comfort on longer journeys.
If you want a safe motorcycle, make sure it’s the right height and size so that you are comfortable – these factors will increase your safety.
Choose a Bike with Forward Thinking Safety Features
As previously mentioned, the technological innovations motorcycles have undergone in the past few years, alongside forwarding thinking from bike manufacturers, mean that new motorcycles have features that make riding much safer.
These innovations include:
- LED Lighting: It might not sound that exciting, but the switch across the board to LED lighting is a game changer for night time rides. LEDs produce more light and visibility while using significantly less power. If you’re an electric motorcycle rider, this is music to your ears.
- Onboard Diagnostics: Interactive dashboards have improved tenfold over the last five years. For electric motorcycles, not only is bluetooth connectivity and information on the nearest level 2 chargers expected, but so is onboard diagnostics. Active suspension, battery levels, tire pressure monitoring, rear view cameras – all of these increase riders’ understanding of their bike and provide a feeling of safety and self-control.
- Stability Control: Stability monitoring system can analyze traction and lean-angle to ensure the right level of braking and power is applied when taking corners. A safety game changer, especially in poor weather conditions.
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS): ABS prevents the wheels from locking up during braking in emergency situations. This helps the wheels maintain tractive contact with the road’s surface, allowing you to continue to steer to safety.
Technology’s influence can only further improve rider safety and contribute to safe motorcycle riding.
If you want to own a safe motorcycle, you‘ve got to keep it well-tuned. An ICE motorcycle owner will have to pay special attention to this. However, for an electric motorcycle owner? Much less maintenance is required!
Besides the clear environmental advantages of owning an electric motorcycle, the lack of maintenance and the increased level of onboard diagnostics available are two of the many reasons electric motorcycles are better than their ICE counterparts.
The little maintenance involved in electric motorcycles makes them safer, easier to pick up as a beginner, and could potentially save you thousands of dollars on maintenance during your ownership.
Always Ride with the Correct Safety Gear
In addition to riding safely, you need to have the right motorcycle riding gear. The first on the list is a helmet with a protective shield. People who don’t wear helmets are five times more likely to sustain a critical injury.
In addition to a helmet, gloves and leather clothing and boots with non-skid shoes can also protect you in an accident. If you’re driving at night, reflective strips or helmets with LED inserts are also recommended.
Along with a safe motorcycle, the right gear can further keep you protected.
Pick a Bike for Your Skill Level
In spite of what you’ve heard, bigger is not always better.
If you’re new to riding, don’t be fooled by advertising trying to coax you into purchasing the most powerful motorcycle on the market. New riders are recommended to start off with a smaller motorcycle with a smaller engine. This gets you used to the rigors of riding and will prepare you for a higher performing bike in the future.
Once you’ve got some miles under your belt and riding feels like second nature, you can confidently explore a more powerful bike. Electric motorcycle manufacturers, such as Damon, have options for power output level. This allows you to stay within your comfort threshold while building your skills on an advanced bike. Furthermore, Damon motorcycles have AI to learn your riding style and scan your surroundings for potential dangers. This gives you an additional layer of protection regardless of your skill level.
Insurance Options For Safe Motorcycle Riding
If you’ve honed your riding skills, found the right electric motorcycle for you, and kitted yourself out with a safe motorcycle helmet, there’s still one missing piece of the puzzle: insurance.
Without insurance, safe motorcycle riding is a delusion. A motorcycle insurance policy will give you peace of mind that should the worst-case scenario occur, you would have full coverage.
Motorcycle insurance policies can be as comprehensive as you want, but there are four essential elements of coverage to consider:
- Liability Insurance: This covers the rider if he or she is the cause of an accident that results in personal injury to another party or their property. Plus, it may also cover legal fees in the event of litigation.
- Medical Payment Coverage: This insurance takes care of those mega hospital bills for you or your passenger. This is particularly helpful in the case that your health insurance plan is inadequate.
- Uninsured or Underinsured: With as many as one in eight drivers in the USA operating without insurance, being able to guarantee you’re covered is important if you don’t want the bill for someone else’s uninsured mistake.
- Collision: This covers you in the event of a collision. Should you lease or take out a loan for your motorcycle, this may even be compulsory. Whatever happens, this policy will see you covered even in the event of a self-inflicted slide.
The Future of Safe Motorcycles
Compared to five years ago, motorcycles are as safe as they have ever been.
The increasing emergence of technological innovation and forward-thinking safety features has brought the future of motorcycle safety into the present day.
For example, our award-winning advance warning system, CoPilot™, gives you 360-degree awareness. It tracks and warns you of potential dangers through haptic feedback on the handlebars, integrated LEDs on the windshield, and a constantly running 1080p rearview camera. Whether through CoPilot™, Shift™, or HyperDrive™ – the world’s first multi-variant powertrain platform – we believe the only way to bring about a significant change in the future of motorcycle safety is through disruptive technology. And this is only the beginning.
When electric motorcycles were in their infancy, advanced safety systems like this seemed like science fiction. Now, they are a reality.
So, are motorcycles safe? More than ever before, mom.
- Multiple Bikes, One Electric Motorcycle Powertrain: The Numbers Behind Damon’s HyperDrive™
- The 5 Best Motorcycle Road Trips In the World
- Motorcycle Ergonomics: How Damon’s Got Your Back
- The Ultimate Guide to the Best Motorcycle Gear for Men
- How We’re Using Motorcycle AI to Create the Safest Electric Motorcycle